German
English
Abfallwirtschaft und Ressourcenmanagement

History

History of the Institute since 1815

 

In 1815

the first lectures were held at the Vienna Polytechnic Institute, as the University of Technology of Vienna was then called. The curriculum which was organised by J.Prechtl, then director of the Vienna Polytechnic Institute, provided for 8 core subjects:

- Mathematics

- Physics

- Basic Chemistry

- Advanced Chemistry

- Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering

- Building Technology and Practical Geometry

- Civil and Water Engineering

In 1818

J.v.Kudriaffsky, head of the Office of Bridge Building and Water Engineering of Lower Austrian, was appointed to the Chair of Civil and Water Engineering, which covered both civil engineering and architecture. Since Professor Kudriaffsky was one of the founders of the Vienna School of Bridge Building his name is associated with a number of bridges that were built across the river Danube near Vienna.

In 1836

J. Stummer was appointed Professor of Civil and Water Engineering. Whereas Civil and Water Engineering had only been taught in the third and final year of the corriculum ("Civil Engineering" was taught during the winter semester, "Water engineering" during the summer semester - a daily one-hour unit together with drawing exercises), the Chair was finally subdivided into "Civil Engineering" and "Water and Highway Engineering" in 1842 and taught over the period of two academic years ever since that time. Professor Stummer was also concerned with the design and construction of important residential, industrial and administration buildings as well as with railway constructions.

In 1862

Professor Stummer ordered that his Chair be subdivided into "Civil Engineering" (to be taught by M. Wappler) and "Water and Highway Engineering".

In 1865

the Vienna Polytechnic Institue was reorganised and subdivided into five Departments and Schools:

- General Department

- Chemical Technical School

- School of Mechanical Engineering

- School of Building and Construction (later on Architecture)

- School of Engineering (later on Civil Engineering).

In 1867

Professor Stummer retired, and the Chair of Civil Engineering was subdivided into

- Building Mechanics and Theory of Bridge Building

- Highway and Railway Engineering and Structural Bridge Building

- Water Engineering (to be taught by M Bayer, ministerial engineer).

In 1872

the Vienna Polytechnic Institute was renamed Technical University of Vienna.

In 1882

Highway and Water Engineering were fused and taught by Professor J.G. Schön, who was particularly recognised for his concept of the Austrian Hydrographical Service. Around 1900, however, Highway and Water Engineering were definitely divided.

In 1909

R. Halter was appointed to the Chair of Water Engineering. He was a member of the Austrian River Engineering Commission in charge of the river Danube and thus was primarily concerned with river engineering, harbour building as well as flood prevention schemes.

In 1918

The Chair of Water Engineering was reorganised and subdivided into

- Water Engineering I (to be taught by F. Schaffernak)

- Water Engineering II - foundation, land drainage, waterway and harbour building as well as dam building and hydroelectric power plants (R. Halter).

Professor Schaffernak deserves great acknowledgement for having improved hydrology from the scientific point of view and for thus having provided the basis of Water Engineering; his book "Hydrgraphie" (hydrography) gained him international recognition.

In 1929

R. Halter retired and the Chair of Water Engineering was again reorganised:

- Water Engineering I - domestic water supplies, river engineering and hydroelectric power plants (F. Schaffernak)

- Water Engineering II - foundation and soil mechanics (K.v. Terzaghi)

- Water Engineering III - water supply, sewage disposal and agricultural water engineering (originally a lectureship, held by W. Viot)

Terzaghi, the founder of soil mechanics, gained international for recognition the Earthworks Laboratory of the Technical University of Vienna.

At that time the Office of Construction Engineering of the Municipality of Vienna was headed by Professor Voit; from 1910 onwards Voit held lectures on Municipal Engineering and on the Encyclopaedia on Engineering Science for students of architecture and land surveying. In 1929, his university courses on water supply, sewage disposal and agricultural water engineering were made compulsory for all students of civil engineering.

In 1935

J. Kozeny started to teach Water Engineering III.

In 1940

the lectureship in Water Engineering III was changed into the Chair of Water Engineering III - water traffic engineering, domestic water supplies and agricultural water engineering. Kozeny succeeded in providing a transition between theoretical hydrodynamics and practical hydraulics. In particular through his book "Hydraulik - ihre Grundlagen und praktische Anwendung" (hydraulics - principles and practical application) Kozeny rose to international fame. Finally, in 1949, the Institute was renamed Institute of Hydraulics, Water Traffic Engineering, Domestic Water Supplies and Agricultural Water Engineering.

In 1951

R.Pönninger was appointed university lecturer for "Purification of Waste Water and Sewage Utilization". Pönninger carried out basic experiments on trickling filters in 1938 in Beuthnen, where he also got his doctorate form.

In 1959

W. Kresser was appointed Head of the Chair of Hydraulics, Hydrography, Agricultural Water Engineering and Domestic Water Supplies. As Head of the Central Hydrographical Office in Vienna Kresser primarily dealt with problems in the field of Hydrology.

In 1964

Professor Kresser proposed to create the Chair and the Institute of Water Supply, Sewage Purification and Prevention of Water Pollution (headed by W.v.d.Emde), which took over Domestic Water Supplies from the Institute of Professor Kresser.

In 1969

Kresser proposed a Chair and Institute of River Engineering and Agricultural Water Engineering (headed by W. Kemmerling), which took over Agricultural Water Engineering from the Institute of Professor Kresser. Finally, the Institute was renamed Institute of River Engineering, Agricultural Water Engineering and Waste Management and dealt with problems of waste management in Austria.

In 1975

the Technical University of Vienna was renamed University of Technology of Vienna as set out in the Austrian law of university organization.

In 1980

the Institute of Water Supply, Sewage Purification and Prevention of Water Pollution and the Institute of River Engineering, Agricultural Water Engineering and Waste Management were fused into the Institute of Water Quality and Landschaftswasserbau (W. Kemmerling, river engineering with respect to the landscape).

In 1991

the Institute was renamed Institute for Water Quality and Waste Management.

The Institute for Water Quality and Waste Management was reorganised and subdivided into the following groups:

- Water Quality Management (Wilhelm v.d. Emde, since 1987 headed by Helmut Kroiss, since 2013 by Jörg Krampe)

- Chemistry and Biology of Water (headed by Norbert Matsché)

- Landschaftswasserbau (river engineering with respect to the landscape); since 1993 integrated within the Institute of Hydraulic Structures (Hubert Honsowitz)

- Waste and Resource Management (headed by Paul H. Brunner).

from 1999 to 2009 there was the group Informatics for Civil Engeneers (headed by Helmut Krzizek) integrated

In 2003

Paul H. Brunner created the chair of Resources Management (headed by Helmut Rechberger).

In 2005

Renamed to Institute for Water Quality, Resource and Waste Management.

In 2018

Renamed to Institute for Water Quality and Resource Management.