How to reach us
Location of the Institute
The institute is located at the main building of the Vienna University of Technology.
The main building (1040 Vienna, Karlsplatz 13) is located in the Vienna city center just south of the 1st district in the Resselpark.
The institute is situated on the 2nd floor facing the Resselpark. Take staircase #1 (main stair) to the 2nd floor (elevator available) and head left through the big door separating the staircase from the aisle. The entrance to the institute (Administration Office) is on the right side at the end of the aisle.
The Vienna international airport (VIE) in Schwechat is located approx. 20 km southeast of the city center. For transport from the airport to the city view the information below (prices from Jul. 2017). Further information can be found online here or at route planer for public transport in Vienna region from and to the airport.
- ÖBB (Austrian Federal Railways) - by Railjet or municipal railway to station "Wien Hauptbahnhof" (Vienna Main Station). Duration 15 to 25 minutes; Tickets starting from 3.9 €, further information: Link
To reach TU, take the Underground U1 (red line) direction "Lepoldau" to "Karlsplatz". Leave the station via exit "Karlsplatz" in the middle section of the platform.
- City Airport Train (CAT), every 30 min nonstop to the station "Wien-Mitte" (traveltime ~ 16 min; costs: return ticket 21 €; one direction 12 €). For the train schedule see CAT timetable.
To reach TU, take the Underground U4 (green line) from station "Landstraße" direction "Hütteldorf" to "Karlsplatz". Leave station "Karlsplatz" at the rear end of the train.
- Bus (Vienna Airport Lines), every 30 min nonstop to "Wien Morzinplatz/Schwedenplatz" (costs return ticket 13 €, one direction 8 €). There take Underground U4 (green line) from station "Schwedenplatz" direction "Hütteldorf" to "Karlsplatz". Leave station "Karlsplatz" at the rear end of the train.
- Taxi (costs app. 30-40 €). Information on airport transfer can be found here: Link Online-/Prebooking unsually is cheaper
- Arrival at Vienna Main Station "Hauptbahnhof"
Underground U1 (red line) direction "Leopoldau" to "Karlsplatz" (2 stations)
- Arrival at Vienna "Westbahnhof"
Underground U3 (orange line) direction "Simmering" to "Volkstheater" (3 stations), change to
Underground U2 (purple line) direction "Karlsplatz" to "Karlsplatz" (2 stations)
Public transportation in Vienna
The main building of TU Vienna can easily be reached by underground lines U1, U2, U4 or the tram lines 62, 1 (station "Resselgasse") and 2, D (station "Oper"). Tickets are available at the airport, all underground stations and tobacconists. Tram tickets can also be purchased online. (Hint: Maybe you want to consider a 24h or 48h ticket.)
Nowadays a lot of moble apps for public transport in the Vienna region are available (e.g. OBB Scotty; "Wiener Linien" app, ...) giving you hand on planning your trips as well as purchasing tickets (e.g. via paypal).
- from the south and the east
Südautobahn (A2) - Südosttangente - Exit Gürtel - Südbahnhof - Prinz Eugenstraße - Schwarzenbergplatz - Karlsplatz
- from the west
Westautobahn (A1) - Hietzinger Kai - Schönbrunner Straße - Rechte Wienzeile - Karlsplatz
- from the north
Donauuferautobahn (A22) - Südosttangente - Exit Gürtel - Südbahnhof - Prinz Eugenstraße - Schwarzenbergplatz - Karlsplatz
Please bear in mind to include the official highway toll label for Austrian motorways (further info). There are two garages for car parking close to TU Vienna: the “Garage Technische Universität” (access from "Operngasse" 13) and the “Tiefgarage Karlsplatz” (access from "Mattiellistraße" 4). General rules for parking can be found here.